Avast ye! Today be Talk Like a Pirate Day, so we’re settin’ aside our usual fare and eatin’ like scallywags, savvy?
Any pirate worth his salt guzzles rum morning, noon, and night. If this interferes with yer normal job, then perhaps ye can get away with a slice of Jolly Roger Rum Cake instead and just be a mild carouser. Any bundt pan will do ye, but this is a good chance to use yer Nordic Ware Fleur de Lis pan if ye have it. Just seems more piratey.
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package yellow cake mix (15oz)
- 1 package vanilla instant pudding mix (3.4oz)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
- Sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan and set aside.
- Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, oil and rum. Mix well for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour batter over nuts.
- Bake 50-60 minutes. Test with toothpick to make sure it's not wet or runny.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan, then invert onto serving plate. Use a toothpick to poke holes around the top of the cake so the glaze can seep in.
- For the glaze, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in the water and sugar and turn heat up. Bring to a boil.
- Boil 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly, until glaze has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the rum.
- Spoon glaze evenly over the top and sides of cake.
- Repeat until glaze is used up. If you don't want the cake to be too strong, only use half of the glaze.
For something a bit savory I used the bottle o’ Mmmhops I brought back from my voyage to Tulsa four month back to make Cheddar Beer Bread. It’s so simple even a landlubber can make it. If yer a proper buckaneer then throw in some jalapenos and see if that makes yer blood boil.
To fill out the bounty, give yer mates some shiny pieces of eight to fight over. The loser can go to Davy Jones’ locker!
Yo ho, yo ho!