My good friend and coworker loves pirates, so it was easy to decide on a pirate theme for her birthday. And as far as decorations go, it’s one of the simplest things to pull together.
To turn her cube into a pirate ship I used:
- Two light blue plastic tablecloths from the dollar store (I usually avoid anything that’s not compostable, but sometimes I give in to cheap temptation)
- Rope, compasses, and pirate-themes napkins and Happy Birthday sign from the dollar store
- Pirate flags, fish and seaweed printed out from images I found online
- Some reusable netting, eye patches and pirate pencils from a party store
- A small treasure chest filled with gold foiled chocolates (like Hershey’s Nuggets) and skull I had from an Indiana Jones-themed birthday I did a few months earlier (We’ll talk about that another day.)
The birthday girl already had a Johnny Depp/ Captain Jack action figure on her desk, so I worked him in, too.
But what to do for the cake? I was determined to make her a pirate ship and I did a lot of Googling for ideas. After I sketched it out I wound up making a chocolate sheet cake. I cut a strip off of the long side and used that to make the back part of the ship. Just sort of piled it up. I also trimmed the front of the ship to make the bow.
It didn’t look like much on its own, but then I used two long strips of Tootsie Rolls to make a railing in the front and back, made a pile of malt balls into cannon balls and used long, thin cookies for oars and more railings.
Next, I printed out images to use for the sails and put them on long wooden skewers for an authentic, piratey look. And finally, my favorite part, I put the birthday girl herself on the cake, along with Captain Jack and Will Turner. (Luckily, she has a Facebook page full of fun photos, including one of her as a pirate.)
After cutting them all out I attached them all to toothpicks and placed them on the boat. A little blue icing piped around the boat for waves and yar! Pirate ship birthday cake.
My favorite part is that she probably looked at the cake for a few minutes before realizing she was right there on it, and then she freaked out
Shiver me timbers!