If you aren’t familiar with “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”, read it. Then this will all make sense, and you’ll be a much smarter, funner and more interesting person to boot.
In a perfect world I would have made a cake that looked like the guide itself, or maybe like a whale that had fallen to Earth. But the birthday boy loves donuts more than anything, so I went simple with the baking (Chocolate Kahlua cupcakes), picked up two boxes of glazed goodness and then put together some props, including:
- A bathrobe (Donated by a coworker who had a new one she didn’t need)
- A towel (A new one I didn’t need)
- Dolphin balloons (From Party City. I printed out speech bubbles for them saying, “So long” “And thanks for all the fish”.)
- Chocolate mice (From a local chocolate shop)
- Toy robots, Vogon destructor fleet and a rubber duck (From my local dollar store)
- Swedish (Babel) Fish
- Pan Galactic Gargleblasters (print out label and attach to your favorite bottled drink)
- A “Hitchhiker’s Guide” movie poster with the birthday boy’s face Photoshopped onto Arthur Dent
- A printout of my favorite Douglas Adams image
A lot of people in the office didn’t get it, but those who did loved it. How else can you celebrate becoming the answer to life, the universe and everything?
Heart of Gold,